Vienna International Centre (VIC), Vienna
11-13 September 2017
The working language will be English
ADMINISTRATIVE POINT OF CONTACT (POC)
Ms. Johanna FESSL
Training Assistant, IDC/CBT
1400 Vienna, Austria
Tel.:+43 1 26030 6484
Fax:+43 1 26030 5973
Dr. Georgios Haralabus
Project Manager, Hydroacoustic Unit, IMS/ED
Tel: +43 1 26030 6302
The International Hydroacoustics Workshop 2017 will cover three main aspects of hydroacoustics related to monitoring of the CTBT (Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty):
- Technological advancements in marine engineering, particularly in ocean observatories, pertinent to IMS hydroacoustic network sustainability and improvement;
- Signal processing methods for the CTBT verification purposes;
- Civil and scientific applications of CTBTO data and products.
The main themes will be:
- Technology and engineering trends in Ocean Observatories, with emphasis on technologies and trends pertinent to the IMS hydroacoustic network,
- Sustainability of modular ocean observation systems and maintainability challenges with focus on the use of Remotely Operated underwater Vehicles (ROV) and environmentally challenging locations;
- Risk mitigation in design, installation and operation of submarine cabled systems;
- Ocean Observatories as "platforms of opportunity" for IMS sensor prototypes and temporary replacement sensors;
- Civilian applications of IMS data;
- Signal processing techniques for hydroacoustic event detection and evaluation.
The workshop is aimed towards all scientists, engineers and other persons involved in hydroacoustics, ocean observatories, acoustic sensor technologies, cabled and autonomous underwater systems and related fields.
Please be informed that the Provisional Technical Secretariat solicits presentations and posters from participants on the topics of the Workshop.
Applicants are requested to visit our website, https://ctnw.ctbto.org/DMZ/events/home.html
and apply online latest by 15 May 2017 (registration is free of charge).
Financial support may be available to a limited number of participants. Such assistance must be requested at the time of registration (by selecting the relevant box during online registration) and no later than 15 May 2017.
Financial support will be considered only for those who have submitted an abstract that is accepted. Participants are strongly encouraged to first seek travel and participation funds from non-CTBTO sources.
State Signatories wishing to nominate experts are requested to inform the Provisional Technical Secretariat (see Administrative POC) through their respective Permanent Mission.
Applicants are invited to submit an abstract relevant to the objectives of the Hydroacoustic Workshop via the registration website
https://ctnw.ctbto.org/DMZ/events/home.html before the registration deadline of 15 May 2017. Applicants will be prompted to select a preference: a poster or an oral presentation.
Applicable to PTS-funded participants only
In accordance with the Staff regulations and rules and Administrative Directives, the PTS will provide the following:
- A Daily Subsistence Allowance (DSA) that is sufficient to cover related expenses during the workshop programme. Participants will receive their DSA on the first day of the workshop;
- The PTS travel agent will reserve, issue and send the flight tickets to the participants for the most direct and economic route;
- Funded participants are not allowed to purchase their own tickets unless, under exceptional circumstances, be authorized to do so and only if this proves to be most cost efficient for the PTS;
- The PTS will book a hotel and cover the costs for the accommodation; and
- Health insurance will be provided that covers the duration of the training course.
Requirement: scanned passport copies.
OTHER PERTINENT INFORMATION
Power Point presentations shall not exceed 20 minutes. Posters should be in either A0 or B1 format.
Participants should apply for visas, if needed, at the corresponding consular office upon receipt of an acceptance Note Verbale from the PTS, in order to ensure timely processing.
It is strongly recommended that prior to departure all participants should acquire health and accident insurance for the duration of the workshop.